Saturday, July 7, 2007

You Like Me! You Really Do!

Sally Field is one of my favorite actresses! I must admit her character as Sister Bertrille, The Flying Nun, is one of my favorite characters! She had a hard time commanding respect in Hollywood until she won an Oscar for her performance in "Norma Rae" in 1979 and again in 1985 for "Places in the Heart." What is most memorable about this Oscar moment is that Sally declared to the audience of her peers and fans, "You Like Me! You Really Like Me!" Sally really caught hell for this. Her statement became fodder for the media as well as small town America. But, why? Because Sally was so caught off guard that she was open, honest and let her feelings out for everyone to hear! She did care that her peers and her fans liked her.

I am going to admit it right now. I do care what people think and I do want everyone to like me. Not that I am going to compromise anything or do anything to get this outcome, nor do I think that everyone is going to like me. BUT, I DO WISH EVERYONE DID LIKE ME. There I said it.

I am always amused by people who say, "I don't care what anyone thinks or I don't care if anyone likes me." Actually, I think deep down they are the very people who do care and who may do anything to manipulate a situation to be liked or respected.

Then, there are people like me who are a walking open book with a big sign on
my forehead that says, "Hey, I'm Cookie! Nice to meet you!
(like a happy little dog meeting someone new)!
Not that I want to be everyone's best buddy; I just love meeting people-in general- and getting to know them. I know Barhana and Suresh the nice Indian couple who own the Chevron down the street from me. I love Melba my favorite bank teller and know all about her sons' landscaping business and her grandson, Hunter. I've missed Erica,a cashier at the Southern Family Market,whose baby is due in August. She just recently got a new credit card so she may be out shopping for that baby! I sure hope the baby is o.k. I need to ask Mr. Deputy, the manager of the store.

I simply CANNOT and I mean I am NOT ABLE to go into a place without meeting someone and getting to know them. It is like a shy person who simply cannot find the courage to speak; I cannot find the place in myself that does not want to get to know these people. Sure there are days I think -I wish today I could be a
wallflower and just blend in and not meet people. But, it is usually days that I let someone else's comment of what a talker or how I am so hyper get to me. Then, I think-today I will calm down and be really quiet and blend in. Until I walk by the mirror and see myself and think-"I like me! I really do!"

No comments: